Preserve and protect remaining wetland habitats contiguous to Portage Lake and tributary streams (PLWF Plan Goal 2B)
- Clearly identify ownership of wetland properties within the Easter Crescent of Portage Lake as identified in the draft proposal to the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy. (PLWF Goal 2.B.1)
- Develop a customized plan for each property owner of record that would benefit the property owner and preserve the wetland in the Easter Crescent area of the lake.(PLWF Goal 2.B.3)
- Develop a plan that permits recreational and educational use of all current publically owned wetlands in cooperation with the township and village parks and recreation committee.
- Identify all other wetlands contingent to or in close proximity to Portage Lake that should receive priority consideration for preservation (PLW F Goal 2.B.2)
- Identify all other wetlands in the watershed whose preservation and protection can be directly linked to preserving the quality of Portage Lake (PLWF Goal 2.B.2)
- Design and conduct two public forums annually, in cooperation with the education committee, that describe current wetlands in the watershed as they appear on the Wetland Inventory of the State of Michigan and their impact on Portage Lake. (PLWF Goal 2.B.3)
- Establish a system by which the Wetlands Committee will be notified by the village and township zoning administrator when any land use permit is requested for land that is identified as wetland by The National Weland Inventory Map or the State of Michigan Wetland Inventory Map. (DWBehring 18/10/14)
To donate to the Wetlands Fund, click here.